5 sierpnia, 2021 Piotr Mikians 0 Comments

Animated corpses, pigs, Facebook…

Kinda 🙂
The first thing is technical announcement – I decided to give a try to Facebook and some time ago the test FB site of the bloggy has been launched. I don’t think there will be anything more published than links to new posts but we’ll see if I can use it for something productive.
The site is just raw now – some background photos will be added just when I get any time (so don’t expect it shortly). And because it’s Facebook – there’s brand new „zombie-like” linky on the right panel. Will probably replace it with more personalised pic sometimes.
And now something more hobby related.I’ve been trying to learn taking decent pictures of my models since always. The more I tried the more I was sure it’s equally hard to painitng models. My mentor in this matter is constantly Mahon – just check the pictures in the Chest of Colors gallery he took. Some of these were taken using dedicated vinyl backgrounds – there was review of that stuff somewhere on the CofC, report worthy checking.
I thought such backgrounds might actually be the improvement I’ve been looking for so I ordered some patterns. These is not any pro stuff dedicated for miniature painters bullshit, but samples of vinyl wallpapers. It looks quite interesting now but I will wait with the final opinion until I manage to place it behind miniatures in the light box and take a shot.
Which leads me to work in progress picture of zombie dragon project:
Few days back I managed to more-less finish the wight lord rider. The model is awful, no doubt about it, but it fits well the old dragon – and I really like the beast. It’s one of the minis I’ve been trying to get painted for a looong time for several reasons, so be ready for a whiny, nostalgic (for me) story when I get it eventually done.

The plan was to paint the whole thing the „oldschool” way which means vivid colors a’la Warhammer 5th edition. Evil Sun banner is part of the story behind the project which will be revealed when the piece is done.

The pictures above were taken straight on the painting station, but I also gave a try to one of the new backgrounds. I am sure the results would be better if I took pictures in the light box but I am quite satisfied of the brick wall behind.
There are still 7 pieces of vinyl to be tested so expect to see them used on the next painted models.

And the last thing for this post: conversions.The first one is nothing more but original model provided with new head: the master plan was to give it brand new set of spider legs or spider torso plus some minor modifications.It didn’t take long to realize my converting-fu isn’t strong enough to do the job well, so I walked easy path. More-less easy: it is truth what people say on forums about assembling this spider bitch. Getting it done is huge pain in the ass and probably wouldn’t be possible without joints already casted with the limbs. Mortenebra is fully operational, armed and dangerous (and last night washed off the battlefield Dr. Arkadius and his band of war hogs).

Another model prepared for painting is epic version of Deneghra – my fav Cryx warcaster.
Even though I like the fluff and special  rules the model is just horrible. So the decision was made to customize it a bit so I can field her with no mental resistance.
Basically I needed to get rid of the lower half of the miniature. I’ve already seen some really effective conversions, where most of the model was replaced by Rackham’s spectre (or whatever is was) mini, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable mutilating any of Rackham’s classic beauties so I’ve been looking for something else.
About 3 weeks ago by accident I spotted a ghost model from Reaper brand, which I thought might be good material for the job:

The description said it was plastic, but this seemed to be rather good news:- plastic is easier to convert- Reaper is (supposed to be) quality.
The model came. It was light but what else could one expect from plastic?The problem was it wasn’t plastic like EE or PP uses but some weird rubber-o-placcy crap! After I got it I read it’s sth from new „Bones” series, and it was my very first contact with that substance. And the last one at the same time.Model was very easy to cut but was so bendy it was pretty hard to make is the center of the model. Moreover because it’s more rubber than plastic I’ve found it impossible to file (sic!), so all mold lines had to be removed with a knife…Anyway I am very glad she is done now, nothing special but way better than original sculpt. The field test of her nasty spells arsenal is planned for the Sunday night, so I hope to harvest some pig souls for the glory of Lord Toruk!

Leave a Reply:

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *