Post-apo mydelnitshka (or necro-Trabant)
This time something unusual: I wrote most of the post in May 2015, but somehow didn’t manage to paint it until now. But since I am about to convert another post-apo tank I needed something smaller to test some paints.
First – It was supposed to look bit different but all in all I like the final effect.The whole idea was born shortly after my kiddo got another vehicle for his fleet: most of them are modern cars (that is: something what you can actually meet on the street) but this one was something special: Trabant, East Germany roller of doom.
I remember those cars were riding our streets when I was kid (mostly before Poland got back independence, 1989) but started vanishing after the iron curtain went up.Anyway I don’t have any nice memories about this car but I really like it’s weirdo shape: kinda reminds me Ghostbusters’ car and my first thought about it was: „I want to see Genestealer cultist behind the wheel!”.
Some time ago I spotted the car in the youngling’s toy box, on the very bottom of it. Wheels were missing and there were also othe minor damage.Such a defect was enough to discourage kid from playing with the car… But definitely wasn’t enough to discourage daddy…
All I all I didn’t do anything bad, in fact I saved the toy!Instead of leaving it forgotten in the toy box I decided to give it new live and look!So what I had to sneak to baby’s room when he was sleeping to stea… eee… retrie… eee… eee… eee… SAVE it! Yeah, that’s proper word: I saved the toy.My toy now…My… Preciousss…
Anyway I wanted to see it on the battlefield so I had to adjust the thing to post-apo world: first I removed the floor and removed the guts – didn’t think these will be useful anymore. Then the hatch was added with the only driver I found available, I regret I had no head suitable for genestealer cultist (yeah, yeah – scale is bit screwed).Windshield and rest of glass were cut off and replaced with mesh and then it turned out there was still enough space inside to put the guts back – seats, steering wheel and front panel. Barely visible through the mesh.The car was supposed to cut endless and treachous wastes so mesh only wasn’t enough for comfortable (and safe) ride: because original lights were removed I added searchlight from Chimera set. About 40l of oil is surely not enough for conquering the desert so a solid drum was chained on the back and the last thing: wheels.I was looking for sth from GW set but didn’t find any spares, then checked Ramshackle’s offer but those were slightly too big and then, like a bolt of lightning came another idea: Lego!Thank Cthulhu getting single pieces is no problem now – set of wheels was delivered to my office in no time. I had to elevate the suspension a bit to make them fit the body but because wheels are pretty wide and massive the whole thing got cool buggy – look.
Mad Max style!
So here’s the thing.
I am still thinking about placing it ont the base but it’s not cool enough for display case and besides – I want it to see lots of combat, and large base would only disturb gaming.
Hope you like it!